Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Dear Anonymous


Considering that my previous post netted me the single greatest number of comments of anything I've ever blogged, and I'd like to thank you dear blogadytes for the intelligent and positive responses, I feel an overwhelming need to respond to several of the chicken-shit "anonymous" posters who felt the need to respond to my rant with xenophobia, nationalism and simple stupidity. Not because what they said hurt me , not because what they posted had any redeeming qualities, but because my next post is possibly going to make their empty little heads explode, so this is my way of saying bless.

The first of these walking arguments for eugenics responded to my tax-rant with a statement so cliché as to make my teeth itch:

Why dont you just leave the country if you dont like it here?? we will not miss you

Now, leaving out the fact that this is such a knee-jerk nationalist reaction it almost doesn't count as thought, let me respond to the question that requires two ?'s.

For the record: I don't like this county.

I fucking love it!

How's about them apples dumb shit??

You can love something and still not think its perfect. That's like saying "Well, mom's nice and beautiful and I get along great with her and she's really a remarkable person and all, but she smokes a lot and has a tendency to embarrass me when she drinks, so I guess I'll leave her and never speak to her again."

You can love something and still wish that it would stop destroying itself.

Then there's nameless wonder #2:

Unless you live in wonderland you can bitch about most of the same things... and if you happen to be from england than you're fucked when it comes to bureaucracy... So help me god you better not be english!

See, no one is ever going to live in "wonderland" if they can't even work up the balls to bitch. One of my biggest pet-peeves about Icelanders is the tendency to equate stoically taking shit because það er vont en það venst with maturity and all criticism with 'bitching'. There is a big fucking difference between righteous indignation and að væla.

Also, I would rant about shit like this in any fucking country on Earth. Stuff like this pisses me off, no matter where it is, and no matter how bad it is somewhere else. I mean, so the UK has more bureaucratic crap than Iceland, so what? That means I can't point out the short comings of the Icelandic system? That's like saying "Sure, I mean, our house might be falling down and have a ton of faulty wiring, but who cares, the neighbor's place is on fire!"

Also, "god" is apparently helping you out. I'm not "english". I'm American!

Yup, break out the Bud and pass me a bible and a shotgun, I'm off to cornhole me a hippy and invade some Ayrabs, hyuk!

The third in this parade of dunces continues along this vein with:

What the fuck. Why are you here ? You cant come from a good country if this isnt good enough for you.

I'm here because I love it here. I'm here because I loved it so much I left my home and family, traveled to the other side of the world, learned and constantly strive to improve my knowledge of an incredibly difficult language so I could communicate and work, mostly at the kind of crap jobs that we helvítis útlendingar wind up working because Icelanders can't be assed to take care of their own children or old people or clean up after themselves. I'm here because despite xenophobic pricks like you, despite the myriad little indignities and aggravations, Iceland is best place I've ever known.

But it could be so much more! There's not a lot I'm proud of about the US, but if there's one phrase I've always loved from our history its the bit about "in order to create a more perfect Union". Not perfect, 'cause that's never gonna happen, but also not "good enough". "More perfect", striving to improve things whenever possible.

Just 'cause the "homeland" has forgotten this principle doesn't mean I have to.

Now then, that´s out of the way.

If you thought the previous rant was, well, excessively outraged and thoroughly over the top, then just you wait my little Henry Higgines, just you wait...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Damn it Sma you little terrorist anarchist bitch, how dare you critique the system? Don't you know á íslandi er allt gott? I mean fuck, you know as a foreigner you're not allowed to have opinions! Didn't the customs guys confiscate yours at the airport like they were supposed to? (Unless you're from Scandinavian country in which case you're allowed to have them but we'll be mercilessly mocking how your own people take better care of their helpless such as the elderly, kids or the disabled than we do - only aumingjar would ever do that rather than explore this radically new invention called industrialization.)

Oh yeah and anon dudes, care to put your names where your mouth's been? Við hlustum ekki á fólk sem þorir ekki að setja nafn sitt við skoðanir sínar - það eru venjulega heiglar sem ekki þora að standa með sínum skoðunum undir nafni. Trust me I know your type, you're more than happy to bitch about how evil or idiotic other countries are without being from there. Of course so am I (remember when we managed to make those US army base guys leave Ruby Tuesday in disgust after listening to us whale on Bush? hehehe, happy memories) - but then I'm also more than happy to bitch about what a fucked up moron-run place Iceland is at times. We have a lot of rules that make absolutely no sense, they're done because "this is the way we do things because this is the way we've always done things, the fact that the way we've always done things isn't working anymore is irrelevant because this is how we've always done things". I mean at times (especially when it comes to customs, taxes, the road system and public transportation - though I don't rule the education system out of this either) you just have to look at the system and go "what the fuck, if anything, were they thinking and if I get a hit from their pipe will it make sense to me?". Like I said man, society design by Escher+Chronenberg = it's slightly menacing, it doesn't make any sense and may break at least 3 natural laws on closer observation.

PS: Sma, if you need someone to help you forcibly deport some xenophobic little bitches give the word and I'll bring the handcuffs and leather bondage gear.

Anna Geek - may or may not be Icelandic but does bite. No seriously, ask the Sma.