Saturday, April 7, 2007

Baaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!



Took it easy today, slept in, read a bit, did some laundry, then walked across town to meet up with the UberGeek Anna for dinner and a movie.
Dinner wasn't so great. We missed "gay shift" (when all the cute young gay men are at work, and hence the service is great, the music sublime, and the food even tastes better) at TGIF, resulting in my being served raw chicken. In the classic Icelandic tradition of putting their own cultural stamp on foreign practices, this did not net me the waves of apologies and gift-certificates such a culinary fuck-up would call forth in the States. Instead I got a "Gúð!" from the busser, followed by copious eye-rolling and bitchiness from the wait-staff. This is to be expected. In a country where no one tips, there's no real reason to be polite, or provide good service. Its also just typical of the food industry here, which manages to remove the "fast" from fast food, for instance, leaving one to wait 40 mins for one's order at Burger King. This more than anything else has managed to wean me off of junk food. I just don't have the patience.

The movie was ok. Went to see Sunshine, which wasn't as utterly "riddick" as Annie judged it, but wasn't anything special either. Think of it as Solaris meets Event Horizon with a little Armageddon thrown in.

But chatting with the geek got me lusting for better films, so I trolled through imdb.com looking for trailers for such future fun as 28 Weeks Later and Day Watch. Now up until tonight, the flick I was most anticipating getting my filthy little eyes on has been the the Roth/Tarantino double feature Grind House.

That was before I found this.

Good bless the Kiwis!

No comments: