Thursday, January 18, 2007

Same Ol' Same Ol'.


My life isn’t that interesting of late. No wild romances, no sexual escapades, less drama than usual at work, no breakups or socially awkward developments, nothin’.

This, I suppose, should make me a happy camper sort of guy. But honestly, it just makes me nervous. I mean, if things are going so well, that means a massive shitstorm of doom is just lurking over the horizon, just waiting to poo on my parade. Right?

I mean, sure, I’m sitting at home in sweats typing this as my throat is ballooning and my head is aching and I’m a feverish little punk, but all in all, its not that bad. I just did the smart thing and stayed home to try to keep it from getting any worse.

Which is where this feeling of impending doom is probably coming from.

Stupid Catholic Work Ethic!*

So now I’ll sit at home worrying about work and what my bosses will think of me and so on and so on.

But at least I might be able to finish “The Motorcycle Diaries” which is now overdue. I’ve rented the damned thing three times now, I really ought to get around to watching the fucker.

So that’s what I’ll do. Impending doom be damned! Eat! (soft foods) Drink! (tea with honey) and Be Merry! (or at least warm on the couch), for tomorrow we die!

*For those unfamiliar with the concept of the Catholic Work Ethic, as opposed to the Protestant Work Ethic, the primary difference, as usual, revolves around guilt. See, Prods are taught that “Hard work is its own reward” and that “The Lord helps those that help themselves”, whereas for Catholics, work is a form of penance, one of the many trials one must endure during one’s stay in this veil of tears. So missing work means you’re a bad person and will be punished for it later. Or something to that effect. I may have given up Catholicism for Lent at the age of 12, but sometimes the claws of Ol’ Mother Church are hard to dislodge.

No comments: