Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Teaching Life...


I just finished my first three classes.


It went OK.


Despite the random class cancellations.

Despite the dust and paint fumes.

Despite the masonry drills and general banging.


So now I'm surfing the net for slightly more up-to-date ESL lessons, listening to Ryan Harvey, and trying to look like I know just what the hell I'm doing.


But I don't.


Seriously, not a god damn clue.


I mean, the teaching is a breeze. I'm good at that. Its the rest of it, the attendance and writing down every little thing, the seemingly meaningless coffee-klatching that seems to the only way things get organized, and the constant photocopying-binding-folding-stabling-ad-infifuckingnitum.


I mean, I don't know about the rest of them, but this English teacher has got himself a text book to teach from and a collection of class readings (My own, I'm not making them read that tired ass out dated Oxford Reader crap, no sir) and hence feels no need to make up complicated spiral-bound assignments on a weekly basis.


Which makes me look lazy.


But honesty is my strongest defence.


When the principal asked me what sort of work I wanted I replied "As little as I can manage".


Not that I think it will stay like this. Oh, no. It'll get crazy soon enough. With the testing and stress and "discipline" and crap like that. But for now, its shockingly, surprisingly easy.


Gonna go watch something on You Tube now...then sneak off for a chat with my friend Nic and some lunch.


They don't pay me enough for anything else.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to know our children are in the capable hands of an anarchist who can't be buggered to care unless he gets paid for it.

Oh, ain't I a stinker?

Just have the little twits read Bakunin and Chomsky and V for Vendetta, start a revolution, overthrow the system, and find a better job in the new anarchist utopia. Done and done!

Anonymous said...

Smart ass!

Actually, I´m using some interesting stuff as in class reading, like an article of Free Skooling (its supposed to be spelled that way)and listening exercises featuring songs like Masters Of War and such...should be fun to see how long it takes me to get reprimanded...

Anonymous said...

I dunno why exactly, but I have this odd feeling that you're probably a great teacher.

Be sure to give them lots of ideas!

Insulation Contractors Minneapolis said...

Nice blogg