Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy Paddy Day!!!


Happy Paddy Day!

I love Paddy Day.

Even though I'm not at all Irish, and have never been to Ireland (much to my regret).

I listen to a lot of Irish music, even play some (mandolin and tin-whistle), and many of my favorite movies hail from the Emerald Isle (The War of the Buttons, The Van, The Snapper, The Commitments, Waking Ned), as does the eternal goodnesses known as stout, soda bread, and corned beef and cabbage.

It's also my pops b-day (Happy 60th Popsicle!) which is funny, considering that he and all his siblings have saint's names, but my dearly departed Granny wasn't much a fan of Eire so he got named Laurence (after the patron saint of Quebec?) instead.

So I'm gonna go all out.

Which I usually do for fun holidays, like Halloween, New Year's Eve, Thanksgiving, and pretty much anything involving large amounts of alcohol and/or fireworks.

Problem is, there just aren't enough of these holidays here on the Lava lump, and most of them are bunched up in the mid winter.

So I propose a few new holidays.

For starters, I think that a general holiday (vacation for all!) should be declared on March 2nd. This would allow us to go out and properly celebrate March 1rst, BEER DAY, and joyously pour libations to commemorate the glorious day when beer was finally legalized on the Lava Lump.

I also like the idea of declaring a holiday (consisting of impromptu street parties) to occur whenever the first snow of the year hits.

Likewise, the first day that the temp hits 10C should be celebrated in a like manner.

The 20th of January should be celebrated by improvised percussion jams and bonfires to honor the all too rare spirit of insurrection.

Both solstices should be celebrated as well, with liquor.

Talk Like a Pirate Day
should be celebrated with costumes, rum, and fireworks.

Finally, I think there should be an Icelandic holiday/festival devoted to nybuar (immigrants) complete with a parade, concerts, and most importantly, FOOD!

Because multiculturalism just tastes better!

No comments: