Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Less is more.

So I’ve really been enjoying life lately, in spite of the fact that since quitting my job at the school (as opposed to the After School Thingy, where I am still very happily employed) I’ve been busy as all get out. Or maybe it’s because of that fact. Thing is, I’m doing a lot more now, but I’m doing things I want to do, not things I have to do because someone told me too.

I’m even enjoying the financial side to it all, the certain knowledge that starting next month and for the foreseeable future I’ll be making a bit less money, whilst in the middle of a nationwide financial snafu. Instead of freaking me out, it’s inspired me to try to live a little more frugally, to eat at home, to stop buying junk food, to take steps to supply as many of my needs and wants as I can independently of the market.

To that end, once I finish my kitchen (anyone willing to help with that is welcome to come by on Saturday when I will reward your help with BBQ and beer…or Diet Coke if you happen to be Emblita) I’m going to make use of a portion of the heated driveway outside my door to install a mini-greenhouse herb garden, going to plant some veg in the back garden, put up a little micro-brewery out in the garage (with the happy cooperation of Iňaki and Noellia) and am looking into getting the use of a small boat for a monthly fishing expedition (non-commercial line fishing doesn’t require a license in Iceland). I’m also in the market for a pre-microchip four-wheel drive diesel pickup or Land Rover that I intend to power on homemade bio-diesel and use for fishing and or planting a bigger garden this summer up north. I’m also looking into going back to school in January, but not in English, as the U of I has started a new interdisciplinary Master’s course in sustainable development that I cannot wait to get into.

But in the meantime, I’m just enjoying life. Riding my bike and eating home-cooked meals (I’ve lost nearly 3.5 kilos since quitting the school), going swimming almost daily, hanging out with friends and doing some writing/translating, practicing my various musical instruments, and all that good stuff.

In essence, I’m walking the walk that I used to only talk about. Sure I have less money, but finding a balance between work and the kind of productive play (gardening, crafts, etc) that everyone gets up to given enough time makes one hell of a difference when it comes to quality of life.

I’m even more convinced than before that what this overheated, over inflated, over-stressed and overworked on overtime little island needs most is a shorter work day. More time for our kids, more time for improving ourselves in that slow, enjoyable way that actually works, more time to think about our society and how we can improve it. More time to just fucking be.

Less is so very much more.




P.S. Just in case anyone has started to take me in the least bit seriously, I include the following photo...

That's me in a tank top with a teddy bear that says "Ain't I cute".

Don't take me seriously folks...its all goofy with me...

3 comments:

Emblita said...

YAY! When I saw that MA degree I knew knew knew that it would be perfect for you. I think its awesome that you are going to study and live the sustainable development way. A.W.E.S.O.M.E!
p.s.
Stock up on Diet coke baby!

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a heated driveway. Or a south-facing balcony. Or a bigger windowsill. As is, I have to make do with three pots; one for cress, one for chives and one for garlic.
I'd kill for a small plot of land for potatoes, carrots and onions, let alone a greenhouse.

Dixie's Blog said...

I'm glad to hear you are doing so well. You deserve it :)