Monday, January 21, 2008

Ummm...Movies?

After working myself into a righteous rage in the last two posts, I can't bring myself to get worked up about anything.



Except may Cloverfield, which The Annageek hauled me to a super-secret crouching tigger, hidden nerd Nexus sneak preview.



So.



Damn.



Cool.



The film ushers in an entirely new sub-genre, the monstermentary. Its human and scary as all shit and at times ridiculously, inappropriately hysterically funny.



Best movie I've seen so far in '08, although Transamerica was right up there too.



I also went to see Death At A Funeral, which despite some moments of truly brilliant humor was for the most part slow, badly edited, and just...plain.



Can't wait for Sweeny Todd, not to mention the incredible fun that will be hauling Embles the Historian to 10,000 BC (payback for her hauling me to Spice Girls Movie).

Mostly I've just been being a lazy bugger infected with January ennui and way too many Xmas videos and books to get anything done except hunt for new jobs and try to figure out how I'm ever going to finish the kitchen...which is enough...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

*points finger*OMG U WERE DRAGGED TO WATCH SPICEWORLD!!!!!!.duno whose worse embles or my friend who has spiceworld in three different languages on his ipod???think it must be my friend

Emblita said...

It was so worth paying to SpiceWorld for the twitchy entertainment that was Sam! Brilliant.
10.000BC ... hmmm at least you didn't make me go see Beowulf 3D I think there would have been some exorcist projectile vomiting action going on there.
I'll probably huff and puff and mutter historical corrections under my breath.
Sweeny Todd Yay! and Cloverfield Yay!

Nina said...

Do you know what's Polish translation of Cloverfield? 'Project: Monster';) And I loved 'death at the funeral'! Anna Magda and I laughed our heads off.

What Rough Beast said...

@Aparna: Get your friend some professional help!
@Embles: If its anything at all like when we hauled you to see "King Arthur" then its so going to be worth it.
@Nina: "Project-fucking-Monster"??? Shoot the translator. Line the fucker up against the wall!