Thursday, November 8, 2007

Trying to put the "fun" into Fundamentalist.




So ever now and again I am forcefully reminded that I am not just on an island with a different language, but one with a very different culture.

Case in point: They have mandatory bible classes here. Sure, they put up a smoke screen with a couple days devoted to other religions but by and large, the name says it all...Kristinfræði.

Literally translated: Christology.*

I just had to sit through an hour and a half of this with the totally out-of-control 6th graders, thanks to the usual teacher's aid being ill. I don't blame her, if I had to work with these kids daily I'd infect myself with Ebola rather than show up to work.

So, yeah, Christology. An hour and a half of ten commandments these kids can barely understand and certainly won't follow. An hour and half of "anointing with oil" and "my cup overfloweth" and kings sending husbands to die in order to steal their wives whom they have been spying on in the tub.

Why? I mean, teaching them ethics with realistic hypotheticals I can understand, if not applaud, but this?

What a total waste of time.

What a total dangerous waste of time. And yet my co-workers look at me like a weirdo for finding this whole thing strange. They can't seem to grasp just how important a factor religion is in the E.S.H. let alone why someone would be so adamantly opposed to it as I am.

The vast majority of kids this young lack the basic mental development needed to seriously study religion. They take things literally for starters, which is very very bad where religion is concerned.

Let's do the math, shall we?

Taking things literally

+ religion
------------------------


(Fundamentalist) = people(who blow shit up) / (if its) "against" (their) "religion"

Then there's the impracticality of it all. Most of the other values that they try to teach in school (not the ones they unintentionally teach) are of practical value. They do try to teach mutual respect, not to bully, general politeness, etc.

It really muddies the water then when you try teaching a kid that violence isn't how one should solve problems out on the playground, or that genocide is a horrible thing in Social Studies or History, and then ship them off to Christology to learn about how Jericho was put to the sword for the glory of God.

And why the sweet monkey fuck should a class of twelve-year-olds need to know what "anointing with oil" means? I mean, when's the last time you were anointed with oil?

And I don't mean as a lubricant!

Call me old-fashioned and American*, but I think one of the single smartest things the U.S. ever did was separating the Church and State. They're awful enough separate, like lima beans and Brussels sprouts.

The last thing this world needs is more Theocratic State Smoothies.

In the end, you have to ask yourselves, do you want an enlightened world or The Light of The World?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*I know the term is "theology", but frankly, Christology fits alot better.
*For those of you tempted to think of this as American overreaction to a time-tested and "harmless" Icelandic tradition: FUCK OFF!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

*Actually, theology is defined as "reasoned discourse about God or the gods, or more generally about religion or spirituality."

A literal translation of Kristinfræði would be "Christian studies" although I'm told that in some schools they've replaced it (in theory, anyway) with "religious studies" or Trúarbragðafræði.

Personally I think they should chuck the superstitions and just teach the little fuckers some ethics. Although finding a qualified teacher might be tough...

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I just love your blog, man. Nothing like an opinionated útlendingur to cut through the chase. ;-)

I went through the whole Kristinfræði shit young enough to be impressionable, yet old enough and raised just right enough to know better and see it for the wank it is.

I think what saves Icelanders (not in the hallelujah, babbling gibberish, sense) is that we're generally hopelessly disorganized and disrespectful. So trying to teach us religion just makes us associate it with an authority which we're simply incapable of respecting.

The church in Iceland is a joke - in my experience, the actively religious individuals not only go to mass; they also believe in fairies and think Hinduism might go well with their Ramadan steak.

Too bad the same basic lack of respect/understanding motivates us to drive multi-ton vehicles at reckless speeds whilst lobbying for exceptions to the Kyoto accord and bragging about how amazingly green we are.

I still love the place though. :-)

Anonymous said...

that formula is a painful reality in my country which made me give up my belief in religion as well as god.somehow i feel good about being atheist as there'll be one less fundamentalist in my country which wont go a long way to help my country shake away from communal riots,terrorist attacks and such but still....