Thursday, March 12, 2009

Math is hard



So I'm working on this paper of doom.

It involves math. I haven't done math for a really really long time.

And I am not good at it.

This same paper caused the ugh spiral the other day.

Its about the total amount of methane that could be produced from animal waste in Iceland.

My first math mistake was a complete fuck-up of decimal points. I turned .071 into 71%.

My next series of mistakes made the percentage into 18%.

After correcting that, I got what I thought was a more realistic number of roughly 8%.

But that was based on the average methane production of sheep versus dairy cattle.

See, sheep poo produces about 10% more methane than cow poo. Simple really. Just up the cow poo figures by 10%.

Which is what I did. But noooooooooo.

See, I forgot that the total amount of poo produced per sheep is a hell of a lot less than that shat forth by the average 1000 pound plus dairy cow.

So now I have to do the math over.

For like the 5th time.

Shit.

1 comment:

Bjarni RĂșnar said...

Hey, can I read your report when you're done? I'll even volunteer my math-brainz for proofreading purposes, as I'm quite interested in your findings/arguments. :-)

And regarding your AARGH entry - I know what that's like. I feel like I'm always busy, and yet I only make very limited progress on the things I want to make progress on.

But then I step back and realize that I got lots done, I suspect if you stepped back and gave yourself a fair chance you'd come to the same conclusion...