Thursday, October 2, 2008

Things Fall Apart


Seriously.

I've got to do some shopping. I got one pair of boots with gaping holes in the soles, another that are so busted up inside that walking sounds like shaking maracas, and a pair of cheap wellies that I'm therefore forced to wear more often than makes any kind of fashion sense.

Meanwhile I've got exactly three pairs of comfortable pants, and another three that I can squeeze into, and most of my favorite T-shirts are sporting holes that you can see from satellites. None of my sheets match, my leather jacket needs serious repair, and my last pair of tennis-shoes had to chucked out because the sole peeled off at work.

Add in a "kitchen" that currently consists of exposed wiring, a gaping hole in the wall, and enough dust and rubble (along with the requisite respirator) to make my place frightfully ironic when I was working on it on the 11 of last month.

Plus the back tire of my bike, Sid, fell off on my way to work last week.

Result, I look, smell, and feel like a hobo.

And you all thought this was gonna be a blog about the economic collapse, didn't you?

5 comments:

Dickson Family said...

good thing christmas is coming up...way to make "subtle" hints :)

Anonymous said...

"None of my sheets match"

The O'Noes must be notified! This is the kind of thing that results in a life of forced abstinence; I remember an imaginary autobiography I read where the main character died sad and alone because his sheets didn't match - careful.

Other than that...well, there's a recession, so you'll probably win some sort of "Making-do-and-not-getting-caught-up-in-the-Innlit-Útlit-spending-all-your-money-on-black-and-white-furniture-and-a-state-of-the-art-stove-cuz-all-the-bankers-have-them" award.

"Plus the back tire of my bike, Sid, fell off on my way to work last week."

Is Sid your bike or the back tire?

Also; how did it fall OFF? I don't know hwhhhhwat kind of bike you has, boy, but when I was growin' up our bikes had these things to keep the tires from falling off. I don't know how your fancy-pants moe-durn bikes work, but I shur know they shouldn't have shit fallin' off'em! Get yourself a new bicycle right this second!

Anonymous said...

the sight of your run down pair of boots is more hard-hitting than seeing employees of Lehman Brothers walk out of their offices with boxes in their hand.

do the sheets have to match? i mean all my life i have seen colour co-ordinated sheets and they are no fun.

Fuck is that Kitchen of yours still work in progress???

What Rough Beast said...

Guess: I named my bike Sid in a fit of goofiness. You know, as in Sid Vicious, as in vicious cycle? As for Sid´s back wheel, let´s put it this way, having owned this bike for 10 months, I've already had to replace three innertubes, the seat, both sets of brakes, and the reflectors...a vicius cycle indeed...

Princess- The kitchen is coming along, but slowly as I cannot buy some of the things that make it easier/faster to finish. The wall is down, the nasty old four layers of flooring have been torn up, and I hope to start painting this weekend...

Anonymous said...

Are you not familiar with the old Icelandic trdition of Having Other People Do Stuff For You? It dates back to the age of vikings, but today is called on mostly when it comes to remodeling. Here's how it works; buy some beer and tell people they can have it if they paint your kitchen. Alternatively, call my mom, since she loves painting walls* (not hereditary).


*This obviously won't work since you'd need to know who I am. Oh, well. Plan A it is. Or, you know, do it yourself.