Monday, October 15, 2007

Call me "Giles"...


So I've totally fallen off the bloggin' wagon of late, which is hereby gonna change.


Back to "Daily Rant" as opposed to "Once or twice a month when I've got nothing better to do rant".


Since last I wrote, I've moved back into my construction-zone apartment. I've very nearly finished the bedroom, after hammering out all the loose tile (easy peasy) and the not-so-loose-tile (much harder, but thankfully only about half a square meter). All I have left to do is touch up the paint, put up the curtains, cut and nail down the edging around the new floor (which much to my chagrin I realized doesn't match the old floor. 'Course I realized this after I'd glued the fucker down...) put up some shelves and change the light fixture and I can move back in.


After that, all I have to do is finish up the living room (light fixture, shelves, paint, new furniture), the hall (paint, light fixture, new floor), the shower (move and re-install washing machine and dryer, tile, install shower, put up door) and the kitchen (take out wall, re-wire the whole space, install sink, cupboards, stove, fan and vent, fridge, paint, put in new floors, new light fixtures, shelves and storage, furniture).


Total cakewalk.


I wish...


Aside from that, I've also started my new job at the same place as the assistant librarian/English tutor/cafeteria gestapo.


The librarian part of the deal is great even if I somehow managed to throw out my back re-shelving books. Hours of hard physical work on the apartment, nada. Two hours re-shelving and I had to go to the doc's.


Doc gave me butt-pills. What the hell is it with the butt pills? I've never encountered them, the entire time I was in and out of the hospital in the States, never a butt pill to be seen. Leave the Land of the Fat and suddenly you have to keester your pain killers...


But anywho...the library gig is nice, even if the concept of whispering in the library is totally foreign to Icelandic schools. As I type one of the 8th graders has just climbed on top of the table to shout at his fellow students over the top of the shelves. His teacher (Ms. Hottie) just looks blissfully on...


I think my train of thought just derailed...


The weekend was good, despite the screwed up back and fuzzy-headed-butt-pilly-ness. I went to the BEST MOVIE EVER! So damned good Embles and Anna and I wanted to buy tickets to the very next show and watch it all over again.


Followed that up by drinking some beer (didn't take much) with Klaus at Embla's place, which led to crashing on the guest bed upstairs. Which turned out to be too soft, so I laid down on the rug in the living room to give my back a rest, drifted off to sleep, and was woken up in total fright by the dog deciding to lick my belly-button.


I like dogs, but for fuck's sake!


Next day was great though. Hung out with the Embles and Klaus and ever-more mobile Askur and wound up making a truly delicious meal (pot-roasted vegies and beef, mashed sweet potatoes with roasted garlic, and a nice Fall salad) followed by berries in cream and accompanied by Shrek I and II.


Pure bliss.


So the rest of this week is set aside for working on the bedroom, the sooner I get moved in the better. I suspect however that I'll also be doing quite a bit wondering about when my little sis is gonna squeeze out my first (blood-related) nephew, and hunting for something fun to wear for a Halloween.


That is all dear blogadytes, someone actually wants to check out a book!


No comments: